Beeswax Wraps.

Malo e lelei, today the whole of kauri made beeswax wraps.

We had a few visitors that helped us with the beeswax wraps, one of the visitors was called Sean and he came from the Auckland Council.

The other people were the ASG or the Aotearoa Sustainability Group, one of the members of ASG taught us how to make beeswax wraps.

If you want to make one you need beeswax, any two pieces of cloth, an iron and a caregiver/parent.

First you should turn on your iron just to get it ready and make sure you have an adult with you.

After that you have to evenly spread 36 beeswax blocks on top of the cloth.

Then you put the second layer of cloth on top of the 36 blocks.

The next step is to use the iron to burn the beeswax blocks and once you feel all the beeswax go flat then you have to hang it up and wait for it to dry and get cool.

Something that I learnt was that a single block of beeswax takes one whole life of a bee.

I really enjoyed making the wrap which was really fun, when the beeswax was melting it was satisfying feeling the beeswax get flatter and flatter.

Have you ever made a beeswax wrap before? and if so how consistently do you use it.

One thought on “Beeswax Wraps.

1. Kia Ora Andrew, Havana here from the Den.
    Nice blog post!
    I remember making beeswax wraps but I don’t actually use the wrap since I have small compartment lunchboxes.
    if I didn’t have small compartments I would use it a lot!
    Did you like or dislike the smell of the wrap!?
    Bye.
    Havana!